Friday 19 December 2014

Has school changed, or me?

I have on a few times, gone back to my school days on here and been trying to come to terms with some of the stuff that happened during my time in the education system.

One of the main problems I faced was to do with of course me opening up about my sexuality. It was difficult to understand what I had let myself in for when it came to my sexuality, because I didn't understand anything about this "gay community", I didn't have many people I could speak to without everything I said managing to be twisted and turned against me by those who didn't wish me well.

School, in essence, was terrible. I wasn't popular, I didn't feel loved and I was still developing a personality to speak of.

This was always still how I have perceived myself to be with all school children, to this day, well, I say to this day....

I was given the task of babysitting, well, not babysitting as such, more just looking after a teenager, who's mum is friends with my mum, while her parents went to see a show. I didn't mind, I know the girl well and I like spending time with her, because she's a little bit like I was in school, a little bit different, and not afraid to stand out.

It was quite early on in the evening and as I sat back with my beer and watched frozen, she told me about what her friends had said when they found out I was babysitting her.... and it was all good things!

See, I had been (in drag) at the family's Halloween party earlier this year, and granted, I was a little bit drunk, I was in charge of games and getting the kids shouting and jumping around etc. It seems that what has happened is that... I've become liked.

It strikes me that either my personality has changed, or, school children have, maybe both?

I think acceptance of LGBT people still isn't taught, but it is spoken about more at home, well it's bound to be isn't it? We've had same-sex marriage, press coverage about the still existant gay blood ban etc. Is it possible that gay people are finding better acceptance by younger people these days?

Is it down to me? I know I have changed a hell of a lot since school, I'm more confident, out going and not afraid anymore.

I'll leave it for you to decide, but I was just really happy with this!

No comments:

Post a Comment