Wednesday 3 December 2014

Food in my life.

This may sound like a strange topic to do a blog post on, and you'd be right, it is. Only recently have I had to look at my health and the role that food plays in it (namely, all of it).

I had what some people would call a "health alert" last week, which is a blog post for on here, in progress at the moment. In brief, it was my cholesterol levels were normal over all, apart from one, which is the bad kind, known to clog up the veins to your heart and kill you... so no pressure to lose weight their at all really is there... fml!

Anyways, I was out shopping with my boyfriend before and with the changes that have happened at home recently, ie, getting an oven, I'm now able to actually cook properly, for the first time in years! I actually do preffer home cooked food. Sure, it takes a little longer than your average wait time at mcdonalds, but it fills you up for longer and actually, is a way to let a little bit of creativeness out!

I'm not set against cooking, per say, I just can't cook amazingly well, but the things that I can do well, I do really well, and other people will often comment about this. I'm always trying new things too, and telling others what I did to get some nice things on the go!


Over all, I'm still learning to cook, but only because I have to. I never really learned much in school if im honest with you, the hour and 10 minute long lessons we had once a week were just long enough to cover how to pour a can of cherries into a dish, cover in crumbs, stick it in the oven, clean up and then take it out, be amazed, get it in the fridge and go onto the next lesson... not really the stuff that is going to be sticking in one's memory for years to come.

This time while learning to cook, I really am going back to basics with food. The cook-books I'm using have been in my family for years and I can tell they're good if generations of the family are all able to say "It's bloody good food". For example, I made a cheesecake a few weeks ago, which is out of a cook-book almost 20 years old. Now granted, the recipe won't have changed that much, but I have looked online about how to do it and omg.... the variations are incredible and I like to think my old school style of cooking is going to get me back to some sort of health where I can say I'm not too skinny, fat, thin, dying... just, right.

My cooking skills, I'm pleased to say, seem to be shared by others around the world. Bryan from youtube's Gay Family Values channel is a bit like me. Can cook a good meal more than once, but wouldn't have a clue what to do if someone said "Make me a puff pastry, cheese omlette" for example, I think the pair of us would both look at our kitchen's and think.... "What the hell is one of them?". It's not to say WHY we're like that, but it is fair to say, we're both learning new things, for example, I want to try doing what Bryan got to do a few weeks ago (minus the kitchen fire).....



I suppose the next question really would be... Do you ever stop learning, when it comes to cooking? No need to worry though, that really is another post for the next time I'm bored at ten to 3 in the morning as it is now.

In closing though, I cannot explain how happy I am to be doing proper "home cooked" food. Living for almost 3 years with only basic appliances does mean you have to change what you eat and how you cook it, but now, with my full sized oven... the world is my oyster!

.... and no, I won't be doing them anytime soon, I have a habbit of giving myself food poisioning!

No comments:

Post a Comment