Tuesday 8 January 2013

The end of "coming out"?

For a while now the thought has been in my head about how people, celebs, basically anyone who is LGBT still has to come out about their sexuality / way of life.... however you like to dress it up, it is what it is.

Coming out is an age old tradition in the gay community, in which, we express to others, usually in our own words, about our sexuality. Why? because back when being gay was something for others to be scared of (it never was, but some people get scared by it) we would feel the urge to tell them the true us.

But that was all back in a day when society seemed to frown upon the gay community. As we have seen in the west (and in some places in the east of the world too) times are changing for the gay community. Big strides forward are being made by the community with more recent activity like gay marriage being the latest headline-grabbing news.

Even that has changed peoples minds about the community. It opend people up into looking into the gay community, who was in it and why were we (are we) being treated 2nd class? More and more people are now open to the gay community and this is where my current thoughts are held.

Growing up i never thought it possable to actually see a time in my life, where a person wouldn't have to come out with their true sexuality, it would have always been the case that there had to be abit of drama around it, but the end result being.... nobody really cares, but like i say, times are changing.

It may actually be possable in the future that the young 19 year old, with his first boyfriend, could go home to mum and dad and say "This is my boyfriend" and not worry about being thrown out of the family or even in some cases, killed.

I may well be alone in this thought, but it is of some interest to me. I know that the gay community itself would love a world like the one i think i can see, but theres still alot of work to be done, but it is being done. The more the community is treated like everyone else the more it becomes "the norm", the more it becomes "the norm" the more society will learn to care less.

I think my mother is a prime example of how most parents will be in the future. When i came out she only ever said 2 things. The first was about 2 days after, we were walking through a neighbouring town and a girl was walking along, she pointed her out to me and said "does that not interest you" to which i simply said no. She didn't disapprove or anything, nothing else was said. The second thing was when talking about it with friends one night and she simply said "I want my children to be safe. It does not bother me their sexuality, who they sleep with, who they go out with, just as long as they're safe. I don't like to think that if they flaunted their sexuality in the wrong place that anybody would want to harm them, but we do still live in a world where people wouldn't think twice about causing injury because a person is gay, that is what frightens me".

What more could i ask for hey? Her only worry is what every other parent worry's about anyway, their child being safe.

To this day, i've still never had any major incident over my sexuality. Sure you get comments made and weird looks, but that washes over me, because i learned, they're the ones with the problem, not me.

So i look forward to the future of the LGBT community and can't wait to find a day when nobody wonders what a persons sexuality is, because whoever they are, they are seen as normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment